Lady Soames plants a tree for 50th Anniversary of the College
- In October Lady Soames plants a weeping mulberry tree for 50th anniversary in the grounds of Churchill College, near the oak planted by her father on October 17, 1959. She used the same spade he had used.
- In November the 50th Anniversary Appealn was launched at Churchill Museum, London
- Organ Scholarships created.
- College borrows £4m to refurbish Wolfson Flats.
- Highest state school ratio among undergraduate intake in the University.
- Music and Study Centre wins RIBA award.
- First election of a female Fellow as Fellow of the British Academy
- First Tizard Junior Research Fellow elected
- Governing Body holds special meeting for 50th anniversary of its first meeting