First alumnus to win a Nobel Prize
- Roger Tsien (G72) is the first alumnus to win a Nobel Prize, it was awarded for his discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein, in collaboration with organic chemist Osamu Shimomura and neurobiologist Martin Chalfie.
- Winston Churchill Foundation funds annual Archives By-Fellowship.
- The Prime Minister decides to accept automatically College mastership nomination.
- The first Alex Hopkins Lecture in chemistry takes place, that still happens annually.
- Student Katherine Godfrey (U05) awarded BBC Student Radio Best Female Presenter.